It is a big fear that when you leave to travel, you will automatically be missing out on your loved ones' lives. That is not the case- with a little extra effort keeping up to date and in contact is not too big of a hurdle. The real challenge, and something less considered, is what to do when tragedy strikes. In lieu of a death, friends and family may congregate to console others and seek solace themselves.
This month of December was unfortunate enough to bring two deaths. I learned who was here to care for me, no matter where they are. New friends in Paris, family in the states, and old relations from Korea all were there. I found that it helps just to be alone, that the best way to remember somebody is simply by remembering, and that unexpected things can happen. After learning about the death of an old friend, I reconnected with somebody that I had fallen out of contact with over the years. Small niceties mean the world.
A word. A message. It does not take a lot to help somebody who is down. Life is simpler than it seems.
In memory of Daniel and Corky.
No comments:
Post a Comment