I was nervous at the airport. It had been several months since I had seen Ben, the first time since Korea. I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror, wondering what if he doesn't recognize me? All of my fears dissolved when I saw him grinning at the gate, and pull me into a hug.
Belgium was charming, full of cobbled paths and lively streets. Lanterns hung above high arching doors. Ben took me around before we caught a train to Dinant to visit his family. Between the rain in Scotland and the 6 am flight, having hot food and a nice bed was more than enough to make me happy.
It was nice to catch up, and to see an old friend. In the small town of Dinant we mainly ate and rested. I spoke to his family in broken French, and enjoyed the change of scenery. Paris was as far from sweet winds and rolling green hills as you could get.
Back in Brussels, I had some alone time in the student housing. Each student had their own room, with one common room/kitchen per floor. Blinking orange street lights lined the wall, and a stray metal sign leaned by the fridge. We established a routine: shopping in the morning, Ben cooking a practically gourmet lunch and then running off to class, and me packing up the rest for later and going to town. In the evenings I enjoyed a quality experience with the other students. There was a Japanese girl whose friend was also visiting from Paris. It turns out we go to the same school! I also met people from Marrakesh, Africa, and some other places.
There was an endless stream of talking, food, and movies each night.
After Ben showed me how to take the trams and busses, I could travel freely. I visited parks, monuments, museums, and lots of waffle shops.
The last night was bittersweet, I would miss Ben (and didn't want to go back to school). His mother came in to town for lunch, and then we went to the Atomium(1) at night. We said goodbye at the train station in the morning, me leaving with a bit of Belgium in my heart and a new conviction to see old friends again.
1- http://www.atomium.be/Practical.aspx
Other sights:
http://cheeseweb.eu/2013/09/visiting-porte-de-hal-museum-brussels-belgium/
https://www.brussels.be/artdet.cfm/5757
http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Brussels_Albertine.html
https://visit.brussels/en/place/Parc-du-Cinquantenaire
http://www.manneken-pis.be/en/
No comments:
Post a Comment