Thursday, October 20, 2016

Orientation

My footsteps matched the rhythmic humming sounds of traffic as I soaked up rays of early morning sun. It was a short walk; I didn't want to wander too far and get lost before anything important happened. My roommates and I walked to the metro together, curious about our week of busy plans. Once we arrived at AUP I quickly realized how things would work. This was not waiting for instructions at a small high school in Korea, and all the choices we made here were on us. People were friendly, but busy. I already saw small social groups emerge in the crowded open halls of our building. I held conversations with anybody in my vicinity, and moved in the crowd seamlessly. I kept track of my books and tried to stay organized. Don't fall asleep during lectures and go out for hot coffee with new friends during the breaks. Most importantly, make sure to sit outside and enjoy the view.

I learned about clubs, cultural programs, insurance, accounting, immigration, transportation, and anything else they could think of. In the evenings social events were held. Before the week was done, I had made friends with all sorts of students and had gathered my bearings (and sense of direction) in Paris. At night I was tired but satisfied, like how one feels after a good and long-deserved meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment