After my friends left the apartment, it was quiet. I spoke quietly with my roommate who had also just settled in. I left to get lunch, and she was asleep when I came back. At the end of the hallway I found my suitcases where they had been left. My room was small, but nice. There were pictures of cherry blossoms on the wall; I thought it would suit me just fine. I knelt down on the hard wood floor and dumped out all of carefully packed and precisely folded clothes and belongings. I unpacked in silence until my other roommate arrived.
She sat on the unused bed while I walked across my room, adjusting this picture and that lamp just so. We laughed about the old days of high school, and I tried to remember my small town before Korea(1) or France. I could tell that she was tired, and eventually we broke away. I took a hot shower and she went to sleep. Once again, I had the house to myself. We had a nice kitchen with a washing machine, a small balcony with some chairs and dry plants, and a large sunny living room. My room was next to the walk-in closet. I closed the door and looked out the windows; golden light filled the room and the streets seemed as busy as ever. I snuggled up in the fluffy blankets. The pillow did not smell familiar, but it soon would. I did not think about the upcoming week.
1- you can find my blog about Korea with this link: http://emilyadventuresinkorea.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment